Looking after ourselves has never been more important than right now. The ‘new normal’ has changed the way we live, the way we work. We’re missing family, friends and colleagues. We’re using words like ‘Covid19’, ‘lockdown’ and ‘social distancing’ at a time when we all need comfort the most.
The theme of Mental Health Awareness Week 2020 is about kindness and looking out for each other. There is support for people who are finding life a struggle and who need a helping hand. No one should suffer in silence.
Coronavirus is affecting mental health in general – causing disruption, uncertainty and anxiety. It is also:
- Adding to specific triggers (eg food, hygiene)
- Undermining existing coping strategies
- Accentuating existing physical health problems
- Causing social deprivation and acute financial pressure
- Creating difficulties accessing support
- Putting people at risk of violence and abuse